THE best of local architecture was exalted at the revived Fiji Architects Association Awards, where Conway Architects’ design finesse took centre stage with three key awards for a stunningly innovative residential project on Naisoso Island.
Headed by esteemed architect Conway Beg, they scooped the Main Award, Residential New Project Award and Interior Architecture Award for the masterful design of Lots 147/148, an innovative project constructed within nine months.
With site frontage of the scenic Naisoso, the project entailed the merge of two lots for one compromising 3,646m2, following a simple but direct brief of “a tropical resort feel with local architectural vernacular” commissioned by long-time Silicon Valley residents seeking lifestyle changes.
Conway’s design saw scattered pavilions connect to a central tropical garden, with the main pavilion placed in the quiet part of the site and taking in sweeping views of the river’s South. The pavilions and main hall connect to the arrival pavilion, consisting of a floating platform in the large pool, which also provides a serene buffer to the water-edges.
Landscaping also formed an integral part role in centralising the lush gardens as a natural bridge for indoor and outdoor connectivity, with subtle pallets consisting of stone-floor finishes, render plaster paint finish walls, exposed pine pole with coconut fibre (magimagi) joints, mat-lined ceilings, marble stone tops with yaka timber and Canadian red cedar timber shingles to the roofing.
“The awards came as a surprise as there were other quality submissions from other talented Fiji architects,” Beg noted.
“Our team put a lot of thought in the design process, arriving at an architectural solution that captures the desires of the client, finding the inspiration for the design in the culture and traditional palette, including embracing the “tropical design” indoor-outdoor experience.
“Awards are good for the recognition of design excellence of work produced. However, architects should not pride themselves on ‘”trophy architecture”.
The FFA Awards recognized outstanding skills in a range of categories, as follows:
- Main Award – Conway Architects for House 147-148, Naisoso Island, Nadi
- Residential New Project Award – Conway Architects for House 147-148, Naisoso Island, Nadi
- Residential New Project Commendation – AAPi Design for the Sky Apartments in Laucala Bay, Suva
- Interior Architecture Award – Conway Architects for House 147-148, Naisoso Island, Nadi
- Interior Architecture Commendation – Tropicx Design Studio for the Kula Eco Park gift shop, Sigatoka
- Commercial Refurbishment Project Commendation – Tropicx Design Studio for the Kula Eco Park gift shop, Sigatoka
- Hotel Refurbishment Project Award – AAPi Design for the Nanuku Auberge Resort Beach Club, Deuba
- Hotel Refurbishment Project Award – Tropicx Design Studio for the Double Tree Resort, Sonisali Island, Nadi
- Hotel New Project Award- Tropicx Design Studio for Tadrai Island Resort, Mamanucas
Subscribe to our Newsletter to receive news and updates about Fiji Real Estate: